How using python?
We can extract tabular data from PDFs using camelot library in python with >90% accuracy and we can save into csv or excel file.
What is camelot?
Camelot is python based,MIT licensed ,open source library having following features:
- Work well and configurable
- We can debug and visualize using python matplotlib library
- We can export output file as a csv or excel file
- Camelot have excellent documentation
- conda install camelot-py -c conda forge
Using pip (after installing tk and ghostscript)
- pip install camelot-py[cv]
Note : It only works with text based PDFs not scanned documents.
Others PDFs Extraction Tools Available:
- Tabula- Java based,Open source
- pdfplumber- Python,Opensource
- pdftables- Python,proprietary and paid
- Smallpdfs- Online and paid service
Problems with these solutions:
- We can not save output file as csv or excel.
- These tools are not scalable and maintainable.
This article is inspired by speaker Vinayak Mehta in PyconIndia 2019.Thank you for reading. Please give it a try, have fun and let me know your feedback!